How to Earn CPD Credits
To succeed in today’s rapidly changing work environment, graduates must remain current. Meeting the CPD requirement shows that your knowledge is up-to-date and you are an active industry member. It is an obligation accepted by each BOMI graduate upon earning the RPA®, FMA®, and SMA® Designations.
Graduates must complete 18 points of continuing education credit every three years to maintain their designation’s active status. The three-year renewal period begins on the date that graduates attain their first BOMI designation. Graduates with more than one BOMI International designation are only required to earn 18 CPD points every three years.
CPD points can be earned in these five general categories:
- Continuing education for a professional license renewal
- Course credit
- Professional accomplishments
- Board/Committee memberships
- Association memberships
Download Your Graduate Packet
One (1) CPD point is awarded for each classroom hour of continuing education credit earned to maintain your professional license. You will be required to submit verification of the education completed. If you hold a current real estate license, you will need to submit a copy of your license.
Note: If you have a license applicable to the property and management profession that is not indicated below, please get in touch with BOMI to get your license approved.
The eligible licenses include:
- Air Handling
- Boilers and Heating Systems
- Professional Engineer Refrigeration
- Water Treatment and Plumbing Systems
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Electrical Systems and Building Control Systems
- Real Estate Sales, Brokers, Appraisers, and Inspectors
One (1) CPD point is awarded for each classroom hour you complete in a course or seminar (including Instructor Workshops) with an authorized education provider. You will earn CPD points for each classroom hour, not including breaks, receptions, or meals. You will be required to provide a copy of a course/seminar completion certificate, which includes your name, date(s) of course, course title, and number of attendance hours.
Eligible education providers include, but are not limited to:
- BOMI International or BOMI Education Canada
- BOMI International Approved Providers (including BOMA International, BOMA Education Canada, and local BOMA classroom sponsors)
- Accredited colleges and universities
- Organizations recognized by ACE/College Credit Recommendation Service
- Other – earn CPD points for completion of any seminar, workshop, or course on a topic included in the list of CPD Approved Disciplines as follows:
- Asset Management
- Auditorium Management/Maintenance
- Building Maintenance Systems
- Civic Center Management/Maintenance
- Civil Engineering
- Commercial Property Construction
- Convention Center Management/Maintenance
- Disaster Preparation/Recovery
- Drafting/CAD Design
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Facilities/Facility Management Systems
- Federal Laws and Regulations
- General Management/Business
- Hospitality Industry
- Hospital Management/Maintenance
- Human Ecology
- Human Resources
- Mechanical Engineering
- Nature Sciences
- Project Management
- Property Insurance
- Real Estate
Two (2) CPD points awarded for each article, with a maximum of eight (8) CPD points per three (3) year cycle when publishing an original article or research report in a national industry journal. You will be required to provide a copy of the article indicating where it was published.
Two (2) CPD points awarded for each presentation hour, with a maximum of eight (8) CPD points per three (3) year cycle when a presentation is given at a regional, national, or international conference/presentation on commercial property or related topics. You will be required to identify the name of the conference and the sponsoring organization as well as provide a brief description of the topic, the date and time presented, indicating the number of presentation hours completed.
Two (2) CPD points are awarded for each hour of lecture/teaching of courses or seminars related to commercial property on topics included on the list of CPD Approved Disciplines. Credit may not be awarded for a specific course taught more than once per three (3) year cycle. You will be required to indicate the class title, sponsoring organization, date(s) of class, and a copy of the class brochure indicating instructor’s name and the number of lecture hours completed.
Exam Author or Reviewer
Two (2) CPD points are awarded for each research/writing hour if you serve as author, reviewer, or member of an examination development workshop for an Approved Provider. You will be required to submit confirmation from the sponsor indicating the contribution including the number of research and writing hours completed.
BOMA Building Awards
Six (6) CPD points are awarded for participating as an active team member when submitting an application for a BOMA Canada or Local Building Award(s). You will be required to provide a copy of the application that indicates the sponsor, date, and building category.
Six (6) CPD points are awarded for each year you serve as a board or committee member for one or more organizations related to commercial property, such as BOMI Canada, BOMA, IREM, IFMA, AEE, or ASHRAE (positions held at local, regional, national and/or international levels apply). You will be required to provide documentation from the organization indicating your role and term of service.
Two (2) CPD points are awarded for each year of membership in an industry association related to commercial property, with a maximum of six (6) points per three (3) year cycle. You will be required to provide documentation from the organization indicating your membership(s) term.